Richard P. Pointer
Richard Pointer is a seasoned and trial tested criminal defense trial attorney with over 24 years experience practicing exclusively criminal law. He is a certified Criminal Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Legal Certification, as a Criminal Law Specialist. Richard tried cases more than 100 felony trials and many more misdemeanor trials in both State and Federal Courts throughout California. He has represented clients in major felony drug conspiracy/manufacturing charges, sexual assault, child sexual abuse, and child pornography cases, homicides, three-strike cases, sexual assault, fraud, DUI and theft cases as well as numerous other cases. He is respected by Judges, District Attorneys and his peers alike for his dedication, negotiating, trial skills and professionalism. Mr. Pointer's high client satisfaction and referral rate is due not only to his knowledge and skills, but to his dedication to achieve the best outcome for his clients, a willingness to provide personal attention, and to communicate with his clients and their families.
Mr. Pointer was admitted to the California Bar in 1979, having served as a Revenue Agent for the Internal Revenue Service prior to and after his admission to the Bar. He is a graduate of Occidental College and a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association. In addition to being a member of the State Bar of California, a Certified Criminal Law Specialist, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, he is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers as well as the California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, and CPDA NACD. He is also a member of the Santa Clara County Criminal Defense Bar. He volunteers his time as a mentor for the Volunteers In Parole of Santa Clara County, as well as many other volunteer organizations.
Mr. Pointer, a partner in the firm, speaks Spanish fluently and is an avid fly fisherman, and enjoys skiing and golf.
- Criminal Law
- DUI Defense
- Violent Crimes
- Drug Charges
- White Collar Crimes
- Traffic Offenses
- Theft / Embezzlemenet
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Federal Courts
- University of LaVerne College of Law, La Verne, California, J.D.
- Occidental University, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar Board of Legal Specializations, Certified Criminal Specialist
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member (NACDL)
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member
- California Public Defenders Association, Member
- Santa Clara County Criminal Defense Bar, Member
Honors and Awards
- Elite Lawyers, Criminal Defense, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished Rating, 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Internal Revenue Service, Revenue Agent
Pro Bono Activities
- Mentor, Volunteers In Parole of Santa Clara County
- Judge Pro tem, Santa Clara County Superior Court